[etni] Re: Fw: re: misc. thoughts

  • From: "Bari Nirenberg" <bnirenberg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ETNI <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 20:10:30 +0300

The project certainly doesn't have to take six weeks of class time!
The recommended amount of class time to be used is 8 to 10 lessons, I
believe (not including oral presentation).  I've always completed
projects with my class within this amount of time.

Since we don't normally have computer access while they're working in
class, I have them find the material at home, print it out and bring
it to class to work on.  They have to show me all their drafts and
have them corrected -- I won't accept a final paper if I haven't seen
the drafts (and if I don't have copies of all of the sources).  Also,
my students always do their projects in groups, so they divide the
work and no one feels overwhelmed.  Interestingly, at most of the
schools where I've tested orally, students have done their projects
alone -- personally, I feel that this defeats at least some of the
purpose of project work, not to mention the burden on the teacher who
has to mark so many individual projects!

Finally, the project doesn't have to be an elaborate research paper.
Even in my 5-point classes, I try to keep the project as easy, fun and
interesting as possible.

I don't always enjoy project work, but I don't think it's the huge
imposition and I've found that my students' writing generally improves
as a result of the project.

Bari