[etni] Kassamim

  • From: "Orly Sela" <orlysela@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 10:37:08 +0200

Hi All,

I was really touched by Ester Revivo's letter. Last July, I found myself
standing by the door of the classroom where my daughter was taking the MOED B
Bagrut exam in Mathematics with bombs falling all around the school (Kibbutz
Dafna) on the day the Second Lebanon War broke out. I debated whether I should
rush in, grab her by the arm and take her home, exam be dammed, or let her
complete the exam and hope for the best. (Not that 'home' - Metulla, was much
safer, but at least we have a MAMAD, which the school doesn't). Was I being a
terrible mother for putting her school work ahead of her safety? Will she
forgive me if I ruin her exam? Will I forgive myself if anything happens? In
the end I compromised by standing by the classroom door - that way if anything
happens we will both be hit together...
My point is that I completely identify with the students, teachers and parents
in the South. In my opinion the Ministry should at the very least give them the
option of getting their Yearly Grade as a Bagrut grade, like they have done in
the past for students in the north (e.g. INVEI ZA'AM).
And if anyone would like a break in the (for now) quiet north, you are most
welcome to come to Metulla. I have a nice house (non-kosher), and would be
happy to host you and your family. Just call 052-3358643.

Orly Sela