[etni] Irgun's Visa

  • From: renee wahl <renew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 21:44:29 +0300

Hi,
This is in response to Linda Kuras' request for advice about applying for a
'free' Visa card offered by the Irgun.

My experience with the freebies that the Irgun offers is that the only one
that benefits from them are those who run the Irgun.  I don't have any
experience with the Visa card they are offering, but I would like to point
out some facts regarding our Pessach Gift card of 400-450 Shekels.

1)      This card is not a 'gift'.  We pay for it out of our Irgun dues.

2)      We also pay taxes on this 'gift'.

3)      I have tried to use the card at various stores that are willing to
accept it, and these are NOT the stores that I usually shop at, but the
large chains whose prices are higher than your neighborhood shops.  The
problem is that you can use your card to pay ONLY for items that are NOT on
'special'.  Want to buy that book at Steimatski that's 2 for the price of
one, or that kids' activity book that's 30% off?  Too bad, you can't get the
discount if you use your card to pay.  Last week I was in Hamashbir trying
to get rid of my gift credit.  Hamashbir has really shoddy goods that are
way overpriced.  The cotton summer jacket I wanted to buy was on special -
reduced from 400 Shekels to 200.  However, if I wanted to buy it with my
gift card, I'd have to pay the full 400 Shekels.  Have you seen anything in
Hamashbir that isn't on 'special'?  Maybe 10% of their goods.  So you can
only pay the outrageous price with your card, or the 'special' with your
'real' money.  This policy is in effect in all the stores that honor the
Irgun gift card.  The Irgun is supposed to use its quantity buying power to
get us better deals.  So who profits from the above situation?  Use your
imagination.

Have you checked the small print for the Visa card?  Is it free after the
initial trial period and how long is that period?  Is there a minimum that
you have to  buy with it within a certain time?  You'd be amazed at what
they can think up.  Even with a negative answer to the above, I for one,
still wouldn't touch their offer.

Renee

From: LindaKM <lindakm09@xxxxxxxxx>

Subject: Irgun Teachers and Visa

I got a call offering me a free Visa with all these "wonderful"

discounts etc... for Irgun Hamorim teachers.

Has anyone looked into this? I imagine there must be a "catch".  If

someone knows something, I'd appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks.

Linda Kuras Mizrahi

** post to list - etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
** help - ask@xxxxxxxx