[etni] HOTS

  • From: "David R. Herz" <teacher@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2014 09:41:19 +0200

For me, it's not about whether the HOTS methodology is good or bad, it's
about whether the imposition of the program, or any program for that matter,
will advance or retard what I think should be the goals of a decent system
of education.  Here's one set I concocted:

Educational Mission Statement

In order to secure the future growth and prosperity of the people of Israel,
the Ministry of Education guarantees a safe and healthy environment in which
every child can realize his fullest potential as a student and as a human
being.  The Ministry's mission is to foster excellence and apply the best
known educational practices to make of Israel's students:

      I.      Moral and Ethical Human Beings, people who love life and who
care for their fellow human beings and the society to which they belong;

     II.     Active and Committed Citizens, people who understand Israel's
history and are willing to take a stand for what they believe is right, for
themselves, for their families and communities, and for society as a whole;

    III.    Risk Takers, people who continuously challenge themselves, who
set for themselves the highest of standards and strive to realize them;

     IV.     Scientists and Philosophers, people who are intellectually
curious, who delve deeply into matters, who constantly reflect, evaluate,
and incorporate new information in their  life-long quest to understand
their world and how it works; and

      V.      Individuals, people who are independent, proud, confident, and
know what they stand for, while also accepting, respecting and relating with
those who don't share their ideas and viewpoints.

When we start spending too much time worrying about how to jump through the
ministry hoops, and our own convictions and history are thrown to the side,
it is no surprise how poor the engagement under or with an imposed program
can be.

What a relief if the ministry could just let teachers teach, but it can't
because then there wouldn't be any work for the bureaucrats.

David R. Herz

 <mailto:mr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> teacher@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Skype: drherz

Twitter: @drherz