[etni] Fwd: In response

  • From: ETNI list <etni.list@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Etni <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 21:55:41 +0300

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Esther Revivo <estherrevivo@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: In response

Once again I wish to reply regarding the Logs. At our school, whatever
 you earn you get; nobody 'polishes' pupils' work to perfection.
Grades on the 4 pt. log vary from the 70's to the high 90's. We are
one of 6 high schools in Netivot and not once have we received
complaints because parents or pupils compared our Ulpana's grades with
those of another institution. That said, I've no doubt that David
Graniewitz indeed witnessed such an occurrence.

Not wishing to beat a dead horse, I find that after repeated emails to
Judy Steiner I've yet to receive a reply to my persistent complaint
and requests for 5 weekly hours for four pointers as well as 5
pointers! In order to do justice to this program (which many recall I
adamantly opposed, and am still not enamored with,) we simply MUST
HAVE MORE HOURS!!! Yes, I'm sure you ETNIers are sick of my posts, but
until I receive a reply from the powers at be, I shall drone on and
on.(You all know where the delete key is....)  For our pupils deserve
to be taught ENGLISH and not BAGRUT!!

I am not the only teacher who has not touched the coursebook all
year!!! Between trips; school activities; our 'little' war; etc. it
has been all I could do to teach HOTS literature; teach and review
forgotten basic grammar and prepare my 'weakies' for this summer's B
module. (Some will do the A next winter while others go straight to C,
G-d willing)  I am very proud of my 24 pupils 10 of whom have LD
'hatamot.' They worked their guts out and have a feeling of
satisfaction for having coming a long way. I however cannot say the
same, for I have a bittersweet taste in my mouth remembering the
glorious days of yesteryear when we had 5 weekly hours from 7-12th
grades and were able to TEACH ENGLISH!

That means having long discussions and not stopping heated debates
mid-way through to to rush, rush, rush. That means showing movies and
learning songs related to current events or holidays and not just as
post-reading. That means doing jigsaw activities; having time to have
'library days' in class; write letters to pen-pals in English to
pupils abroad or to our soldiers on the front. Need I go on????? Why
can't we bring back the old 3,4, and 5 point bagrut exams and
incorporate literature questions therein as we did yesteryear? We'd
certainly save the country a great deal of money and put an end to
teaching for the test. I am frustrated and the only teachers I know
who are pleased with the HOTS literature program either have 5 weekly
hours from yud until yud bet and/ or have brilliant 5 pointers for
whom success comes easily.

I remain a disgruntled hardworking teacher, who is proud of her
pupils' improvement but who mourns how much more could have been
achieved this year.**sigh**

Esther Revivo
** ETNI Blog and Poll
   http://ask-etni.blogspot.co.il/