[etni] More on the unfairness of the log

  • From: David Graniewitz <davidzalman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni.list@xxxxxxxxx, etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 17:45:04 +0300

I was very pleased to read the number of reactions to the long missive that
I wrote last week. It made all the time that I spent on it worthwhile.
However, I don’t understand why there are teachers who will reply to me
personally not contribute to the general discussion on the ETNI list
(although one did proffer an explanation.) This, by the way, is not the
first time that I have received a number of replies offlist and leads me to
wonder whether people are afraid to express themselves in public.

Anyway, I feel that I must respond to those who wrote defending the log
claiming that because a number are randomly checked by representatives of
the Inspectorate, it is an objective and fair method of assessment. I would
like to point out that, as far as I know, the logs are checked for QUANTITY
not QUALITY. In other words, they are checked to see if all of the
components have been done for each piece, not how they were done or on what
they were based.  Even if pupils from different schools do the whole log
properly, their grades will still not be commensurate with the amount or
the level of work that they have done if their teachers are allowed a free
rein with the pieces they teach and the assignments that they set.

 The log remains, therefore, an unfair method of assessment and the fact
that it is worth so much in the final Bagrut grade means that the whole
Bagrut exam itself has ceased to be an accurate measure of the pupil’s
knowledge of English. In fact,  I have heard that this salient point has
reached the Israeli academia, which is now seriously reconsidering the
value of the English Bagrut exam in university acceptance procedure.

David Graniewitz

Jerusalem

** ETNI Blog and Poll
   http://ask-etni.blogspot.co.il/