[etni] Fw: violence in my school

  • From: "Ask Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 21:55:24 +0200

Dear Etniers,

I want to thank everyone who has written to give me advice and support.

 I have come to realize two things. The first is that there's a whole lot
more violence out there in our schools than I had ever imagined - and too
much of it seems to be covered up.

The second is that many of you had practical advice that I should have been
aware of beforehand. I think, unfortunately, we need a new section on Etni -
how to deal with acts of violence or threats towards teachers.

 I didn't know that a union rep should be present at any meeting about the
incident, that it might not be to my benefit to talk to a school counselor
about my fears, but rather to someone from the union.

Fortunately, my school and the city and parents comm.and the police are 100%
behind me.

What I did know was that I could come home, write Etni and get support.

Thanks again,
your grateful colleague