[etni] Fw: obama speech worked over and ready for teaching as a text

  • From: "Ask_Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ETNI" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 06:51:49 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: Barry Silverberg - barisil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: obama speech worked over and ready for teaching as a text

I hacked up the speech so it would fit on 2 pages and wrote some
comprehension questions.

This was done in a rush, but I have it for tomorrow.

The Inauguration Speech:
Name:______________
Skim the parts of the speech; make a list of words that you don’t know.
1  Look at the first leading sentence; line 2.  What does the line mean?
2   How many supporting sentences does it have? ____    List all of them, in
Hebrew if you like.
3  What is the connector in pgf. B? _______________ What does it mean?
4 Look at the leading sentence in Paragraph E:  How many supporting
sentences does it have?  Translate 4 of them.
5 What is discussed in pgf F?  _____________________________
6 What is discussed in pgf G? ______________________________
7 Pgf G:   Find the sentence,  “We are the keepers of this legacy.”   What
is a legacy?; what is he talking about?
Who does he address in pgf’s H and I?   ________________________________
What does he say to them?   ________________________________________
What is the main sentence of pgf J?  __________________________________
Translate 2 supporting sentences in pgf J. ______________________________
Pgf K:  There is a contrast between new and old.  What is new and what is
old?
How do you feel about this speech?___________________________________
What do you think might change under Obama’s leadership?

INAUGURATION :  JAN 22, 2009                          My fellow citizens:
A          We are in the midst of crisis.  .  . Our nation is at war,
against a far-reaching network of violence and hatred. Our economy is badly
weakened, a consequence of greed and irresponsibility on the part of some,
but also our collective failure to make hard choices and prepare the nation
for a new age. Homes have been lost; jobs shed; businesses shuttered. Our
health care is too costly; our schools fail too many; and each day brings
further evidence that the ways we use energy strengthen our adversaries and
threaten our planet.
B      These are the indicators of crisis, subject to data and statistics.
Less measurable but no less profound is a sapping of confidence across our
land -- a nagging fear that America's decline is inevitable, and that the
next generation must lower its sights.
C        Today I say to you that the challenges we face are real. They are
serious and they are many. They will not be met easily or in a short span of
time. But know this, America: They will be met. On this day, we gather
because we have chosen hope over fear, unity of purpose over conflict and
discord.  On this day, we come to proclaim an end to the petty grievances
and false promises, the recriminations and worn-out dogmas, that for far too
long have strangled our politics.
D       We remain a young nation, but in the words of Scripture, the time
has come to set aside childish things. The time has come to reaffirm our
enduring spirit; to choose our better history; to carry forward that
precious gift, that noble idea, passed on from generation to generation: the
God-given promise that all are equal, all are free, and all deserve a chance
to pursue their full measure of happiness.  .  .   . . . .
E          Everywhere we look, there is work to be done. The state of the
economy calls for action, bold and swift, and we will act -- not only to
create new jobs, but to lay a new foundation for growth. We will build the
roads and bridges, the electric grids and digital lines that feed our
commerce and bind us together. We will restore science to its rightful
place, and wield technology's wonders to raise health care's quality and
lower its cost. We will harness the sun and the winds and the soil to fuel
our cars and run our factories. And we will transform our schools and
colleges and universities to meet the demands of a new age. All this we can
do. And all this we will do.    . ..
F            Nor is the question before us whether the market is a force for
good or ill. Its power to generate wealth and expand freedom is unmatched,
but this crisis has reminded us that without a watchful eye, the market can
spin out of control -- and that a nation cannot prosper long when it favors
only the prosperous. The success of our economy has always depended not just
on the size of our gross domestic product, but on the reach of our
prosperity; on our ability to extend opportunity to every willing heart --
not out of charity, but because it is the surest route to our common good.
G             Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and
communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and
enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect
us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our
power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness
of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility
and restraint.
We are the keepers of this legacy. Guided by these principles once more, we
can meet those new threats that demand even greater effort -- even greater
cooperation and understanding between nations. We will begin to responsibly
leave Iraq to its people, and forge a hard-earned peace in Afghanistan. With
old friends and former foes, we will work tirelessly to lessen the nuclear
threat, and roll back the specter of a warming planet. We will not apologize
for our way of life, nor will we waver in its defense, and for those who
seek to advance their aims by inducing terror and slaughtering innocents, we
say to you now that our spirit is stronger and cannot be broken; you cannot
outlast us, and we will defeat you. . .
H                To the Muslim world, we seek a new way forward, based on
mutual interest and mutual respect. To those leaders around the globe who
seek to sow conflict, or blame their society's ills on the West: Know that
your people will judge you on what you can build, not what you destroy. To
those who cling to power through corruption and deceit and the silencing of
dissent, know that you are on the wrong side of history; but that we will
extend a hand if you are willing to unclench your fist.
I                  To the people of poor nations, we pledge to work
alongside you to make your farms flourish and let clean waters flow; to
nourish starved bodies and feed hungry minds. And to those nations like ours
that enjoy relative plenty, we say we can no longer afford indifference to
suffering outside our borders; nor can we consume the world's resources
without regard to effect. For the world has changed, and we must change with
it.
J                     . . . For as much as government can do and must do, it
is ultimately the faith and determination of the American people upon which
this nation relies. It is the kindness to take in a stranger when the levees
break, the selflessness of workers who would rather cut their hours than see
a friend lose their job which sees us through our darkest hours. It is the
firefighter's courage to storm a stairway filled with smoke, but also a
parent's willingness to nurture a child, that finally decides our fate.
K              Our challenges may be new. The instruments with which we meet
them may be new. But those values upon which our success depends -- hard
work and honesty, courage and fair play, tolerance and curiosity, loyalty
and patriotism -- these things are old. These things are true. They have
been the quiet force of progress throughout our history. What is demanded
then is a return to these truths. What is required of us now is a new era of
responsibility -- a recognition, on the part of every American, that we have
duties to ourselves, our nation and the world; duties that we do not
grudgingly accept but rather seize gladly, firm in the knowledge that there
is nothing so satisfying to the spirit, so defining of our character, than
giving our all to a difficult task.
L         This is the price and the promise of citizenship.  This is the
source of our confidence -- the knowledge that God calls on us to shape an
uncertain destiny.   This is the meaning of our liberty and our creed -- why
men and women and children of every race and every faith can join in
celebration across this magnificent Mall, and why a man whose father less
than 60 years ago might not have been served at a local restaurant can now
stand before you to take a most sacred oath. . .
                                  /  edited by Barry ‘Omamma’ Silverberg