[etni] Re: Fw: literature course

  • From: "Michele Ben" <mggben@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ETNI <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2008 16:07:46 +0200

Dear Bari,
     As a dedicated professional who plans lessons, checks homework, checks
quizzes, checks tests, plans activities, attends meetings and more meetings,
meets with pupils and parents, invests in professional development by
reading professional literature and supporting our professional organization
(ETAI), attends in-service training courses and does other work related
activities, I sincerely resent the following sentence that I copied from
your letter:

"Fortunately, our work hours are shorter than most other sectors, allowing
us time to do these courses."

     Our work hours are NOT shorter than most other sectors.  In fact, our
work hours are LONGER than ALL other sectors.  I once kept track of all the
time I invest in school related duties EXCEPT FOR histalmuyot, and
discovered that I work a 65-70 hour work week on average.  This means that
for every hour we spend teaching, we spend at least 1.5 hours and up to 2.5
hours a week doing all the other things required by our job.
     One of the reasons we are so undervalued and disrespected as
professionals is because people think that we work fewer hours than others.
This is simply NOT TRUE.  Furthermore, I'd like to see businessmen, lawyers
or hi-tech people stand on their feet for 5-6 hours a day in a steaming hot
room with sweat dripping down their backs doing their job.  I'd like to see
them buy their own office supplies.  I'd like to see them pay out of their
own pockets for their own computer that's used for work .  I'd like to see
them wait in line for a toilet at work with only five minutes to spare.  We
do a great deal of what's required of us as professionals as volunteers. We
should be paid double our salaries, and I'm being conservative.  Our work
hours are NOT shorter than most other sectors.
      We are dedicated professionals who invest a great deal of time and
effort into our work.  We need to recognize that.  And other sectors need to
recognize and understand that as well.  Please, NEVER say that our work
hours are shorter than most other sectors.
     Happy New Year and Gmar Hatimah Tovah,
Michele