[etni] Re: Fw: Re: gmulim

  • From: "Bari Nirenberg" <nirenber@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 18:56:43 +0200

> The problem as I see it is less with the gmulim and more with the
> number of
> hours that 3,4 and 5 pointers receive.
> Ever since budget cuts started at our school, our 4 pointers have been
> receiving fewer hours than the five pointers according to the rule which
> states that a 3 pointer is supposed to receive 9 hours during
> his/her three
> years of high school, a 4 pointer 12
>  and a five pointer 15.
> (This rule, however, does not seem to apply to mathematics at our school,
> which is assumed to be harder than English and
> therefore require more hours. Math at our school gets WAY beyond
> the teken.
> Is this true of other schools too? )

3-pointers at our school get 4 hours a week, not 3.  4-pointers also get 4
hours and 5 pointers get 5.  However, I believe that in 10th grade, they ALL
get 5 weekly hours if they're in iyuni classes (my 10th grade mabar class
gets 4 hours).  As far as I know, math doesn't get more hours than English,
though I think that our 3-pointers in math get more hours in 11th grade
because they don't study math in 12th grade.

>   This is plainly ridiculous.
> The weaker pupils need MORE hours, not FEWER!

I have always felt this way.  I remember the days when my "masmam" classes
would get 2 or 3 hours a week and I never understood that.  I still don't.

> And now with the projects,
> it's well nigh impossible for a teacher getting four hours a week in Yud
> Aleph to get  anything done.

I haven't tried projects in a class with only 4 hours a week (nor will I
this year -- both classes that are doing projects have 5 hours a week and
the class that has only 4 hours is doing a performance task) so I don't know
if it's possible or not.  I would suggest making the project simpler and
shorter, though.

> As far as gmulim go, I agree with Bari.
> Teaching a five-point class properly demands a great deal of extra work at
> home grading essays and all kinds of  other written work plus the
> fact that
> five-point classes at our school are MUCH larger (to the tune of
> 35-40) than
> the 4 point ones which are usually half that size.

This is more or less the situation in our school, though our 4-point classes
tend to be large, too.  It's the 3-point classes that are usually smaller.

> By the way, at our school for years we have been splitting the gmulim
> between Yud Aleph and Yud Bet:  the Yud Aleph
>  teachers get 1 1/2 hours and the Yud Bet teachers get 2 hours (for five
> point classes).
> This has been rather helpful in staving off the fights-to-the-death among
> teachers for Yud Bet classes, and is also fairer,
> since Yud Aleph teachers are preparing for Bagrut just like the Yud Bet
> teachers are.

Our school has also done this for as long as I can remember.  However, the
same teacher usually stays with a class from yod alef to yod bet (not
always).  However, now that we're sending kids to bagrut from 10th grade,
the system will obviously have to be adjusted.

Bari