[etni] Re: Fw: Fw: book tasks for 4-5 pt. students

  • From: "Bari Nirenberg" <nirenber@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ask@xxxxxxxx>, <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 22:19:24 +0200

I can't even imagine requiring my 4-pointers to read stage 5 or 6.  I can
count on one hand the number of 4-pointers I have who could read at that
level.  Personally, I'm against setting such limits.  I ask my students to
show me their books and I approve them based on the student's level (as
opposed to the level of the class).  A book that I don't approve for one
4-point student may be perfectly fine for another.  And the fact of the
matter is that I almost never tell a student that a book is too easy (though
I have asked students if a particular book might be too hard for them).
It's hard enough to get them to read.  I think that limiting the
books/levels they can read just makes things worse.

Also, it's worth pointing out that there's really no such thing as a "stage
4 book".  Different series of books have very different levels, so stage 4
might be very easy in one series and very difficult in another.  If I
remember correctly, it's Longman Classics that are particularly hard, even
at the middle stages.

Bari