[etni] Re: [FWD: Re: It's not haval, it's a shame]

  • From: michele ben <benfam@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 17:33:45 +0200

I second Erlich's reply.  I have been rather consistent in speaking to my kids
in English.  Their father speaks to them in Hebrew.  But everything that has to
do with school is usually discussed in Hebrew.  I try not to mix languages, but
sometimes I do I suppose.  My daughter, who is quite learning disabled and
almost certainly wouldn't have acquired English had I not spoken to her in
English, is totally fluent - accent and all.  Furthermore, her vocabulary is
broad and she never makes a grammatical error.  She speaks to me and to her
brother in English.  My son usually answers her in Hebrew.  He usually answers
me in Hebrew although I usually speak to him in English.  But when he speaks to
my parents or sisters, he speaks in English.  Funnily enough, neither of my
kids speak to their English teachers in English.  My son's teacher still doubts
my claim that his English is fluent.  So, my personal experience shows that
inconsistency in language use doesn't necessarily create a problem with
language acquisition.  In terms of Hebrew, both my kids have large vocabularies
and excellent grammatical skills.  I find that when I speak to other parents,
their experience is similar.
      In terms of language acquisition, my kids separated the languages in two
very different ways.  My daughter mixed the languages, applying one language's
grammar to the other (agalots for supermarket trollies is one interesting error
that I remember.)  She gradually sorted out the languages.  Her first try at
separating them was to speak Hebrew to adults and English to children.  I think
she tried that because she saw me speak English to her and Hebrew to her dad.
When she realized that that classification didn't work, she eventually got the
languages separated.  My son did something different.  At first he spoke only
English to everyone, including to his monolingual Hebrew speaking mitapelet and
to his father who addressed him only in Hebrew.  This went on for quite a while
and then he switched to only Hebrew.  After about two years of only Hebrew I
started worrying that his English had disappeared.  Lo and behold, it soon
reappeared, separate from the Hebrew, intact and grammatically accurate but
with an odd accent.
     I think that language acquisition is individual and it's not necessarily
helpful to be dogmatic about a bilingual home's approach to communication.
Michele Ben