[etni] Re: It's not haval, it's a shame

  • From: "Adele Raemer and Laurie Levy" <raemer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 08:27:25 +0200

Seems to me that this is taking linguistic snobbery to new limits.

All of us who make the concerted effort to speak to our children in our L1
should be commended, and our children only benefit from it.  If we
occasionally mix our languages, I have no doubt that it causes no harm.

It seems to me that whether a child absorbs the parent's L1 (say, English)
as his/her second L1 has to do with: 1. whether one parent speaks in
English or both, (in which case, it seems from my experience that it is
easier and more likely for the child to acquire an additional L1) and 2.
something to do with the child's own personality rather than with the
question of do we mix our languages or keep them pure.

Adele