[etni] [FWD: Re: It's not haval, it's a shame]]

  • From: ask@xxxxxxxx
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 02:18:34 -0700

 -------- Original Message --------
 Subject: Re: It's not haval, it's a shame]
 From: "elizabeth yuval" <maore29@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Haval only to worry about it. My kids, and they were not alone in this,
by the way, spoke 2 kinds of English. Home English, which meant that
man was man and not men, and th was th and not z or s, and school
English, where they spoke with the same butchered accent the rest of
the kids did. My mother grew up speaking Yiddish at home and English
with the rest of the world and was privileged in beinf fluent in 2
languages.
We have Czech friends who had no choice but to be fluent in German
and then Russian as well as Czech. My Bedouin butcher and garage
mechanic and a lot of their local village patrons pepper their speech
with
Hebrew words and somehow I don't think it hurts their Arabic linguistic
ability. It's all so subjective as to be impossible to classify, but I
can't
see any reason to get up in arms over it. I have no idea of what
metapelet is in American English, although a more recent American
than I could probably tell me. As far as I know there is no gan hova in
America, although things may have changed, and it is a lot easier to
say "yoledet" than "a woman who has just given birth."
The ship will not sink if we go to the makolet or kupat holim (Which is
what, in English, by the way? Or rather, which was what before the
American  medical system began calling them HMOs?).
Have a safe week
Eliz