[etni] Exam levels and What we're testing

  • From: "Ron Kessler" <ronkes23@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 10:45:28 +0300

I am a little bewildered by the furor surrounding the exams. While I agree
wholeheartedly with the logistical gripes (three exams in one day with long
breaks etc), the rest is odd to me:

We have been complaining among ourselves for a significant period of time
about the lowering of standards generally, and in English too. The facts
appear to justify us. Now the ministry comes up with a more reasonable
returnto higher standards, and we're unhappy?

The talk about the testing of intelligence is both misleading and
self-confusing, in my humble opinion; I feel we are testing both reading
comprehension and the ability to think and express oneself in a foreign
language, (which is indeed very difficult).
However, we are talking about an academic Bagrut and it seems self-evident
tome that those taking it should be able to harness these abilities to a
larger or lesser degree. Many of these same pupils are doing 4 or 5 points
inthings like Maths and even Physics, or producing often amazing stuff at
five point level in other subjects. Intelligence is not an issue here, as I
see it. Certain abilities are and, I am convinced, legitimately.

Secretly I wonder if all this fuss is not more related to many of us
teacherssimply havng reached a stage where we are knee-jerk resistant to
change? This would be an irony indeed, considering our proffesion. But I
don't want to open that can of worms while we're still so busy with the
Bagrut.............or have I?

Ron Kessler Moshav Habonim 23 D.N.HofHacarmel 30845

E-mail: ronkes23@xxxxxxxxxxx Tel: (04) 639-0877 OR 052 855-596 Fax:
(04)629-0426

MSN 8 helps ELIMINATE E-MAIL VIRUSES. [1]Get 2 months FREE*.

--- Links ---
   1 http://g.msn.com/8HMAEN/2743??PS=47575