[etni] NBA bagrut

  • From: "Aliza Levanon" <levad@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "etni" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 10:13:00 +0200

Dear Etniers
I think everybody agrees that the NBA tests intelligence more than language
skills. I would like to point out though, that we as teachers should change our
methods of teaching consequently. If this trend is here to stay, we should
undergo a series of histalmuyot that will qualify us for this new mode of
testing, because  our students should learn how to cope with reading
comprehension strategies that are different form what we were used to teaching
them up till now. This explains to a certain extent the phonomenon of students
whose English is almost perfect, and their faultless compositions prove it, but
who fail to get more than 80 in the NBA exams.
Another point I want to add is that I hope that in the future the day of the
exam will be less traumatic in terms of all the technical difficulties the
staff at school has to experience. personally I am still exhausted form last
Tuesday and as a coordinator I had the support of a wonderful staff both in the
school's English department and the school's office. Is there any chance that
the ministry will simplify matters, so that at least some of the beurocratic
demands should be dispensed with, such as the endless"ishurim" we need for
everything for example.
Reading the discussions that followed the bagrut was extremely important and I
would like to thank all the teachers who added their cents and participated. I
agree with Patricia that this was a very constructive discussion and not a
coplaint as somebody wanted to say
Have a nice restful summer
Aliza Levanon