[etni] Digital Audio Formats for Bagrut (and just practice)

  • From: James Backer <drjamesbacker@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 03:45:00 -0800 (PST)

Greetings, all!

Yes, Linda is correct in saying that "Audacity" will allow you to input from a
tape play-back machine and create an output in various digital
formats. Audacity is free from Source Forge at:
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/

But Adele was referring to an additional problem: kids having machines that
play one audio format, but not necessarily another. Audacity limits the output
possibilities to wav, mp3, and ogg - and does so one at a time, for each file
that is processed in Audacity.

A good way to handle this problem is to use a format converter. (Audacity is an
audio *editor.*)

I use "Quick Media Converter" which is offered, for free, by Cocoon Software
at: http://www.cocoonsoftware.com/

QMC (Quick Media Converter) offers the following digital audio output formats:
mp3, mp4 audio, wma, Zune audio, wav, and ogg.

QMC allows for batch jobs, moving a number of files from one format to another
format in the same short process. (Actually, I think the input batch can be
mixed formats, but the output will always be the one you choose and be save in
the same folder.) Audacity can't do this.

QMC doesn't demand opening the file like Audacity does because it is not an
*editor,* it just converts the format. In addition, Audacity is a fine *audio*
editor, but cannot handle digital video, which QMC can.

To sum up, you can take an anolog file from a tape and turn it into a digital
format with Audacity and then convert it into a range of different digital
formats using QMC. Then save all the audio formats on your computer, a thumb
drive, or burn them on a CD (depending how your technology works at school).
The kids' machines will play the appropriate file.

It's a lot easier than it sounds. With a little bit of practice you can do it
chick-chack and listen to a good podcast at the same time.

Too bad I'm not making a commission from Cocoon Software.

Jimmy

From: "Ask_Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: [etni] Fw: re: A Last Gasp for Audio Cassettes
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 11:17:27 +0200