[POLL] mount: sync or async?

  • From: Grégory SCHMITT <gy.schmitt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emelfm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 17:17:09 +0200

Hello all,

Here's quick poll for those who use the mount plugin in emelfm2. In
rel. 0.3.5, I asked Tom if it was possible to make mount work in a
asynchronous way.

That change was commited.

Quick explanation: when mount was done synchronously, emelfm2 executed
mount and waited until mount was done (whether successfully or not).
You couldn't use emelfm2 before mount exited, as it was "frozen".

With the mounting process now asynchronous, emelfm2 doesn't wait
anymore for mount to exit.

I thought this would be a good change, but since rel. 0.3.5, most of my
mounting of an optical disc fail. My feeling is that before, mount was
waiting for the device to probe the disc (which can take a few
seconds depending on the performance of your optical drive). Now, mount
doesn't wait as long for the disc to be probed and exits quickly.

So, here's my poll to all emelfm2 users: would you like to keep mounting
asynchronous or revert back to synchronous mounting ?

--
Grégory SCHMITT <mailto:gy.schmitt@xxxxxxxxx>