Re: [POLL] mount: sync or async?

  • From: <tpgww@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emelfm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 10:52:34 +1000

On Tue, 4 Sep 2007 17:17:09 +0200
Grégory SCHMITT <gy.schmitt@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Quick explanation: when mount was done synchronously, emelfm2 executed
> mount and waited until mount was done (whether successfully or not).
> You couldn't use emelfm2 before mount exited, as it was "frozen".
>
> With the mounting process now asynchronous, emelfm2 doesn't wait
> anymore for mount to exit.
>
> I thought this would be a good change, but since rel. 0.3.5, most of my
> mounting of an optical disc fail.

After selecting an item from the mounts menu, all it does is run a background
command

 mount "path-of-mountpoint"

 My feeling is that before, mount was
> waiting for the device to probe the disc (which can take a few
> seconds depending on the performance of your optical drive). Now, mount
> doesn't wait as long for the disc to be probed and exits quickly.
I can't think why synchronous operation of a mount command would make a
difference. The command should still just do what it does.

To help figure out the best fix, exactly what do you do and see when it fails?

You mentioned "most" - so it works sometimes ? Any pattern ?

Does it make any difference if you externally run

 mount "path-of-mountpoint" &