[EMAS] Re: WNC Warren Wilson College: WINTERING Henslow's, Vesper, Fox, etc. - 3/24/14

  • From: Steve Ritt <stevenmritt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emas <emas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2014 09:57:39 -0700

A few folks have asked for more specific directions to the Henslow's spot:
I'd recommend parking at Owen Park/Ponds, which shows up as 895 Warren
Wilson Road, Swannanoa, NC 28778 on Google Maps. This is just east of WWC,
and just west of Bee Tree Road. You can follow the signs to WWC from the
Porters Cove Road exit off !-40 (I think this is marked as the Swannanoa
exit, but I do this so subconsciously that I can't remember).

Park at the west end of the ponds (unless you want to look for the Marsh
Wren!), and follow the path westward over the footbridge through the woods.
This will soon spit you out at the small, plowed field I mentioned earlier.
The "Native Plant Sanctuary" sign will be just ahead, on your right.

Below are a few really bad docu-shots from yesterday of the Henslow's and
Vespers (and a Rusty...just because they're so darn pretty!). Two scenery
shots also show the described Henslow's spot.

Thanks,

Steve Ritt
Asheville, NC / San Diego, CA