[EMAS] WNC Warren Wilson College: WINTERING Henslow's, Vesper, Fox, etc. - 3/24/14

  • From: Steve Ritt <stevenmritt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: carolinabirds <carolinabirds@xxxxxxxx>, emas <emas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2014 14:16:43 -0700

I was quite shocked to refind what must be the same Henslow's Sparrow that
I found on 10/30/13 at Warren Wilson College this afternoon, but it has
moved to the east end of the ag fields. The spot is next to the old
archeological dig. There is a small, plowed field there that has the
remnants of a small native plant sanctuary on the north side. To be exact,
there is a sign that reads "Native Plant Sanctuary". The bird was
originally in the five-ish elderberries near this sign, then hopped up to
the overhanging River Birch with the Virginia Pine above it. Just like last
fall, the bird is incredibly cooperative once found. I got a few very poor,
but ID-worthy cell phone shots. I believe this is the first time one has
overwintered in WNC.

Other sparrows:
Vesper - 4 just south of the pig farm.
Fox - 2 (1 just west of the pig farm and behind the farm office. 1 just
east of the lotus pond by the WWC barn.)
White-crowned - just 1
White-throated - 8
Savannah - 40
Field - 12
Swamp - 18
Song - plenty
(A nine-sparrow day in WNC ain't bad!)

Other birds:
Rusty Blackbird - 20-ish continue all around the pig farm area
Fish Crow - 2 near Owen Ponds
Osprey - 1 at Owen Ponds
Belted Kingfisher - 1 across the street from the entrance to Owens Ponds

And...a possible Marsh Wren was at the east end of Owen Ponds. Marsh Wren
is an extremely common, year-round resident in Southern California that I
am very familiar with, and I can't imagine what else this may have been,
but this is WNC, I got brief, poor looks at this bird, and it would be
really nice if someone else could go confirm this. It showed itself briefly
towards the center of the east end of the easternmost pond while scolding a
flock of Yellow-rumps, and then disappeared. I spent an hour trying to
refind the bird (with some help from Bob Rhodes), and finally threw in the
towel with frustration. Eh, birding.

Oh, and a photographer might want to just shoot away at the large icterid
flock by the pig farm, and see if they can pull out a Brewer's Blackbird. I
scrutinized many of the Rusties, but didn't have enough time to do it
justice.

I will be leading a weekend birding retreat at the Sunnybank Inn in Hot
Springs, NC 25-27 April. Contact me off-list if interested.

Thanks,

Steve Ritt
stevenmritt AT gmail.com
Asheville, NC / San Diego, CA