[EMAS] Peregrine falcon nestlings at Chimney Rock 5/4/2012

  • From: Chris Kelly <kellych74@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 5 May 2012 19:56:55 -0400

There are three peregrine falcon nestlings in the Chimney Rock eyrie. On
Friday, I estimated their age to be ~20-25 days old (based on plumage and
behavior).  They are still mostly covered in white down.  Brown facial
feathers are coming in around the eyes and the tips of the primaries and
tail feathers are showing. All three were able to stand up and walk around
and one was flapping its wings. Peregrines typically fledge at about 6
weeks of age.  These nestlings are at the amusing awkward, gangly stage and
should put on a good show these next few weeks before they take to the
wing. I have been observing through a spotting scope from a parking spot on
74-ALT just north of the park entrance.  There may be a good vantage point
for a photo opp from inside the park (I have not yet been on the newly
reconfigured trails). I will be checking on them again next week.
Chris Kelly, Asheville, NC