[EMAS] May Bird Walk - Moved

  • From: Thomas Tribble <tntribble@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 5 May 2012 19:48:17 -0400

The regular first Saturday of the month bird walk at the Beaver Lake Bird
Sanctuary had to be moved for the first time in years - due to the ongoing
upgrades now underway at the Sanctuary.  As an alternative, Elisha Mitchell
Audubon Society organized a trip on the Parkway.  About a dozen folks convened
at Craven Gap at 8:00, led by Doug Williams.  The group carpooled to mile
marker 372.5 to see the Cerulean Warbler nest discovered earlier in the week.
The temperature was lovely but the sky was cloudy - a bad omen - and the light
was not good.  But the female Cerulean Warbler gave us fleeting views as she
made several trips to work on her nest.  The male sang a couple of times but
declined to make an appearance.

We stayed in the same spot and were rewarded by good views of several other
migrant nesters, including a pair of Scarlet Tanagers, a gorgeous Blackburnian
Warbler and an equally beautiful Rose-breasted Grosbeak.

Unfortunately, the sky dumped on us at about 9:20 and when it became clear that
it was not a brief rain shower, the group declared it a successful morning and
headed home.

With good weather and anticipated progress on the current phase of the work at
the Sanctuary, the June 2 walk will be at Beaver Lake.  Hopefully we will be
admiring the restored ecofilter wetland.  Check the EMAS website for news.  And
don't forget to make a donation to the Campaign for the Birds.

The full list:

Wild Turkey
Pileated Woodpecker
E. Wood-Pewee
Blue-headed Vireo
Red-eyed Vireo
A. Crow
C. Chickadee
White-breasted Nuthatch
A. Robin
Black-throated Blue Warbler - heard only
Blackburnian Warbler
Cerulean Warbler
Black and White Warbler
Worm-eating Warbler - heard only
Ovenbird - heard only
Hooded Warbler- heard only
Scarlet Tanager
E. Towhee
N. Cardinal
Rose-breasted Grosbeak
Indigo Bunting

I waited out the rain and returned to birding at about 10:00.  Just north of
the Tanbark Ridge tunnel, I saw a singing male Cerulean Warbler, an American
Redstart and a female Hooded Warbler.