[EMAS] Re: Peregrine falcon nestlings at Chimney Rock 5/4/2012

  • From: "Tomcho, Joseph" <joseph.tomcho@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "kellych74@xxxxxxxxx" <kellych74@xxxxxxxxx>, "emas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <emas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 May 2012 12:01:08 +0000

That’s good news about the peregrines.

I was fishing on Lake Lure on Sunday and heard and saw a prothonotary warbler
just off Holmstead Drive on the NW part of the lake (35.443664N, -82.195953W).
If you look at google earth you can zoom in and see some wooden docks jutting
out from the shore.  The prothonotary was singing about 50yds just north of
that.  He was singing in the afternoon and evening.  It’s not the typical
habitat you’d find them in, so maybe he’s just moving through.

Joe

Joe Tomcho
Wildlife Tech II
NCWRC Burnsville Wildlife Depot
Burnsville, NC  28714
828-682-6718
joseph.tomcho@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:joseph.tomcho@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

googleplus3]<https://plus.google.com/u/0/b/104061933014720497710/104061933014720497710/about>[Description:
fb3]<http://www.facebook.com/pages/NC-Wildlife-Resources-Commission/169986143088699?sk=wall&filter=2>[Description:
tweet3]<https://twitter.com/?lang=en&logged_out=1#!/NCWildlife>[Description:
blog3]<http://www.ncwildlife.org/News/Blogs/NCWRCBlog.aspx>[Description:
youtube3]<http://www.youtube.com/user/NCWRC?blend=2&ob=video-mustangbase>

Get NC Wildlife Update<http://www.ncwildlife.org/Enews/index.htm>‑- news
including season dates, bag limits, legislative updates and more -- delivered
to your Inbox from the N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission.

Subject: [EMAS] Peregrine falcon nestlings at Chimney Rock 5/4/2012

There are three peregrine falcon nestlings in the Chimney Rock eyrie. On
Friday, I estimated their age to be ~20-25 days old (based on plumage and
behavior).  They are still mostly covered in white down.  Brown facial feathers
are coming in around the eyes and the tips of the primaries and tail feathers
are showing. All three were able to stand up and walk around and one was
flapping its wings. Peregrines typically fledge at about 6 weeks of age.  These
nestlings are at the amusing awkward, gangly stage and should put on a good
show these next few weeks before they take to the wing. I have been observing
through a spotting scope from a parking spot on 74-ALT just north of the park
entrance.  There may be a good vantage point for a photo opp from inside the
park (I have not yet been on the newly reconfigured trails). I will be checking
on them again next week.
Chris Kelly, Asheville, NC

Email correspondence to and from this sender is subject to the N.C. Public

PNG image

PNG image

PNG image

JPEG image