[EMAS] Re: BRP: yesterday was the day - 10/1/14

  • From: Marilyn Westphal <mjwestph@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Steve Ritt <stevenmritt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2014 14:52:45 -0400

It is unusual to have two big movement days in a row, but some of the
biggest movements I've seen have been ahead of a front coming through, like
Steve suggests, although sometimes it's a couple or three days behind it.
They don't generally seem to move through with a front, or at least not on
the ridges, because the weather is usually pretty wild up there at those
times.

As for the Merlins, we have seen small groups of Merlins migrating together
in past years, and when travelling together they always seem to spend more
time chasing after each other than making any forward movement.  Doesn't
seem to be a very good use of their energy.  I've always considered them a
very feisty bird, though.  I've also often found Sharp-shins moving along
with warblers.  I always figured they liked to migrate with their food
source, so I was surprised not to see any of them at Craggy Gardens
yesterday.  They missed their chance.
Marilyn

--
Marilyn Westphal