[EMAS] BRP: yesterday was the day - 10/1/14

  • From: Steve Ritt <stevenmritt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emas <emas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2014 19:22:50 +0200

Eh, sometimes you just make the wrong choice of where to go birding. Having
just gotten back in town, and then having seen Marilyn's report, I decided
to stay close to home and go to Craggy Gardens and Ridge Junction this
morning. I was joined by Joe and Marianne Mooney for a bit. In contrast to
what Marilyn had yesterday, there was very little left up there today, but,
now that I notice her timing, perhaps we missed the good window of time at
Craggy.

The only "highlight" (eh) was a little surge of raptor activity above
Craggy Pinnacle just before sunrise. At least five (possibly up to eight)
Merlins, two Peregrines, eight Sharp-shinned, and two Cooper's Hawks were
all fighting with each other there, and no one seemed to want to leave.
Usually Merlins are on a one-way-mission during migration, and might only
make one or two aggressive interactions before continuing their journey,
but every time I looked up there, there were one or two fighting (hence the
conservative "five"). A few more Peregrines and Sharp-shinneds were between
Ridge Junction and Mt. Mitchell.

Passerine flight was evident at Craggy, but I'd estimate only about 250
birds passed by during my hour or so there (7:15-8:15ish). My ears are
rusty from being out of the country for the past six weeks, and most
warblers went unidentified. It was very difficult to see the birds. Species
composition was similar to what Marilyn mentioned yesterday. Tennessee,
Bay-breasted, Black-throated Green, and Black-throated Blue Warblers at
Craggy. Added a few Palm and Common Yellowthroats near Mt. Mitchell. Tons
of RB Grosbeaks, Swainson's Thrushes, and four or so Gray-cheeked Thrushes.
Golden-crowned outnumbered the Ruby-crowned Kinglets, and a few Blue-headed
Vireos, etc.

Ridge Junction was close to dead.

Perhaps the front that is on its way pushed the big numbers through
yesterday. I'll try the lowlands tomorrow.

Steve Ritt
Asheville, NC