[EMAS] Monarch field, McDowell Co, 10-2-14

  • From: Chris Kelly <kellych74@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2014 10:27:11 -0400

Yesterday (10/2/14), I saw ~3 dozen monarch butterflies over a field on US
221 ~ 15 miles north of Marion. There is a large flat field on the east
side of the road between the communities of North Cove and Ashford, along
North Fork Catawba River.  One lane of 221 was closed for repaving so I was
stopped and able to get a better look at the field. There is a LOT of
milkweed!!  I wonder if it was intentionally left by the landowner for the
butterflies. It was a treat to see so many monarchs in one place. This is a
large field system and I suspect there were more monarchs deeper in the
field than I could see from the road.
Approx coordinates of the south end of this field: 35.855643, -81.964372.
Chris Kelly
Asheville, NC