[elky] Re: next - Model A's

  • From: Ray Buck <rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 05 Sep 2009 05:30:01 -0600

Thanks for the Model A photos. You can see that I'm a little late in getting to 'em (I'm eating breakfast before heading for the track.)

The roadster is a bit unusual. It has the look of a couple of Model T street rods I've seen: full height top, painted grill shell and the body possibly channeled over the frame. Looks real nice...although I prefer the chrome shell.

The truck is a Model AA 1-ton. The large disc wheels were a part of the differences from a passenger car or 1/4 ton pickup like mine. The other big change (aside from a stronger and longer frame) was the 5.xx:1 rear end in place of the 4.10. It REALLY limited speed...but delivered a lot more torque to the wheels. Top speed on a stock Model A was maybe 50 mph, motor screaming, downhill with a strong tailwind. More like 45. The AA trucks had a top speed of under 40...except for those with a Ruxtel 2-speed axle, which gave it a bit more top end. 'Course it still only had 40 hp from 200 cubic inches.

All the photos were really kool....although I'm not sure I'd call the 34 pickup a rat. The Chrysler Imperial tow car is really kool. There's one just like it that shows up at most of the cruise nites. Same color, same body style. Waitaminit. The more I look at it, I see 56 New Yorker/Windsor tail lights and an Imperial front clip. Looks like someone's been playing mix and match. The Imperial should have separate "bomb sight" taillights mounted on top of the fenders like in the attached photo. Very kool car tho.

Ray