[elky] Re: The migration home.

  • From: Chris Lindh <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2014 12:26:06 -0500

My experience has been 50/50 on home inspectors.  Our first home inspector
in '03 was young and did nothing, found nothing - useless.  Last year the
inspector was good, we chose him based on our agents recommendation.
Although the house is relatively new (built in '04) he found several small
issues.  He also spent time to figure out how to light the fireplace and
even walked me through lighting it once we were living in the house - a
phone call after hours, impressive.

Regarding agents paying for things... our agent bought us a home warranty,
which we used to fix our heat pump issue... which took 2 months without
heat in our bedroom in the coldest winter in years.  The home warranty
company spent $3K in repairs, which would lead you to believe using the
home warranty was worth it.  In hindsight not really, as I think only a
single switch was the root of the problem.  Our heating bills were easily
$300-500 higher due to the heat strips being used.

Also, I removed the Mr. Heater from our old house, which, being attached,
was technically not correct, and the buyers complained about it an hour
before closing.  Our agent bought them a gift certificate to compensate
which allowed the closing to happen as scheduled.