[elky] Re: Rear Shocks

  • From: Chris Lindh <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 12:40:49 -0400

I pulled the trigger on the regular Bilsteins HDs.  For 99% of the driving I
do they will be great, and if I get serious about drag racing I can buy a
pair of drag shocks for track days (along with slicks, etc.).  I will
install the cargo coil springs (thanks Jared!), the combination of softer
rate coils and firmer coils may help with launch.

Thanks for everyone's input.

On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 10:37 AM, Chris Lindh <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> [...]
> probably help traction more than suspension changes.  From what I'm reading
> on the Chevelle forums if you race with a manual it is best to use a bias
> ply slick tire, the drag radials aren't sticky enough.
>
> One great reason to race an El Camino: you can carry your spare parts in
> the bed!
>
> This is interesting, evidently Hotchkis puts their own valving in
> Bilsteins:  "Tuned in house and manufactured by Bilstein TM this shock
> offers a seamless transition between comfort and control."
> http://www.hotchkis.net/rear_hps_1000_shockm_gm_agb_body.html
>
> On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 5:40 PM, John Christensen <johncgg@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:
>
>> I have said it before, and I'll say it again ... Nothing is better than
>> Billsteins and air bags in the back of an Elky. I have tried 4 different set
>> ups.
>>
>> If you go adjustable, the rancho sounds like a better deal. You may use
>> the adjustability. The Billsteins are dynamically adjusting (according to
>> what I have read). I don't know how they know howe to work just right, but
>> they do.
>>
>> JC
>>
>> On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 4:24 PM, Chris Lindh <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:
>>
>>> The drag strip adventure highlighted the need to replace the air shocks
>>> on my '80.  All along I had planned to install Bilstein HDs (~$60 each) as I
>>> have in the front, but I'm wondering if that is a good choice if I decide to
>>> continue drag racing.
>>>
>>> I've researched shocks... there are a lot of options since GM used the
>>> same basic shock in most rear wheel drive cars:
>>>
>>> Standard replacement shocks are available as low as $18 each... the
>>> Chevelle forum folks like the Monroe Sensa Tracs for a budget shock.  The
>>> thought behind using a budget shock is I can inflate the air bags to stiffen
>>> the suspension if necessary.  I plan to install the bags plumbed
>>> independently so I can add more air to the right rear for traction.  For
>>> some reason Monroe does not list a Sensa Trac for the El Camino, but they do
>>> for a Malibu (I believe the Malibu wagon has the same frame as an El
>>> Camino).  AC Delco shocks are also available for $18.
>>>
>>> Drag shocks that can be installed with 70/30, 60/40 or 50/50 valving are
>>> around $40 each, the downside is you have to disconnect one end of the shock
>>> and rotate the shock body to change the setting.  Also drag shocks will not
>>> be good for handling, although the air bags could compensate.
>>>
>>> Single adjustable shocks that can be converted to coil overs seem to run
>>> $150+, double adjustable are up to $300... each!  Single adjust able means
>>> you change the compression and rebound simultaneously from soft to firm,
>>> double means you can adjust each independently.
>>>
>>> Lastly I have found some racers are using Rancho adjustable shocks
>>> (Rancho is a truck shock company).  Although there is no stated application
>>> for passenger cars evidently it is as simple as removing the steel sleeve
>>> from the bottom of the shock and it bolts right up (application from a '90