[elky] Re: Rear Shocks

  • From: John Christensen <johncgg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 06:45:41 -0500

It does raise it up a little when you fill them. I typically run 5 to 12
pounds, unless I am hauling something. 35 is the max, and 25 works well on a
road course track or driving school, but it pounds your teeth on a bumpy
road empty. 30 pounds made the Elky level with a load of flat patio bricks
almost even with the top of the bed. 200# air shocks would have been on the
bump stops, IF you could find a compressor anywhere that would fill them to
that pressure.  I have mine valved separately, because I read that if you
have the right side tighter it helps you launch better. Although I doubt I
will ever run a drag race. For me, I can keep an eye on the pressure and
determine if one or the other is leaking. Only happened once, and it was the
right side at the bag. I cut off the end and put it back on.... no leak.

I would say they are more for load and handling. I would mess with springs
for height.

1984 El Camino "Elkenstein" 350 TBI
NECOA #042 http://www.myelcamino.net
1984 El Camino "Elkenstein" 350 TBI
NECOA #042 http://www.myelcamino.net
Saint Charles, IL

On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 6:35 AM, Brian M <ctsvmongo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Just curious, with that set up, how much play do you have with ride height?
> Or are they more of a load bag?
> On Oct 27, 2011 6:28 AM, <STILLFRANKSFAULT@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> **
>> I agree with John, I also had Billsteins and air bags. Best bang for the
>> buck.
>>
>> Smokey Mt Frank
>>
>>  In a message dated 10/26/2011 5:40:50 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
>> johncgg@xxxxxxxxx writes:
>>
>> I have said it before, and I'll say it again ... Nothing is better than
>> Billsteins and air bags in the back of an Elky. I have tried 4 different set
>> ups.
>>
>> If you go adjustable, the rancho sounds like a better deal. You may use
>> the adjustability. The Billsteins are dynamically adjusting (according to
>> what I have read). I don't know how they know howe to work just right, but
>> they do.
>>
>> JC
>>
>> On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 4:24 PM, Chris Lindh <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:
>>
>>> The drag strip adventure highlighted the need to replace the air shocks
>>> on my '80.  All along I had planned to install Bilstein HDs (~$60 each) as I
>>> have in the front, but I'm wondering if that is a good choice if I decide to
>>> continue drag racing.
>>>
>>> I've researched shocks... there are a lot of options since GM used the
>>> same basic shock in most rear wheel drive cars:
>>>
>>> Standard replacement shocks are available as low as $18 each... the
>>> Chevelle forum folks like the Monroe Sensa Tracs for a budget shock.  The
>>> thought behind using a budget shock is I can inflate the air bags to stiffen
>>> the suspension if necessary.  I plan to install the bags plumbed
>>> independently so I can add more air to the right rear for traction.  For
>>> some reason Monroe does not list a Sensa Trac for the El Camino, but they do
>>> for a Malibu (I believe the Malibu wagon has the same frame as an El
>>> Camino).  AC Delco shocks are also available for $18.
>>>
>>> Drag shocks that can be installed with 70/30, 60/40 or 50/50 valving are
>>> around $40 each, the downside is you have to disconnect one end of the shock
>>> and rotate the shock body to change the setting.  Also drag shocks will not
>>> be good for handling, although the air bags could compensate.
>>>
>>> Single adjustable shocks that can be converted to coil overs seem to run
>>> $150+, double adjustable are up to $300... each!  Single adjust able means
>>> you change the compression and rebound simultaneously from soft to firm,
>>> double means you can adjust each independently.
>>>
>>> Lastly I have found some racers are using Rancho adjustable shocks
>>> (Rancho is a truck shock company).  Although there is no stated application
>>> for passenger cars evidently it is as simple as removing the steel sleeve
>>> from the bottom of the shock and it bolts right up (application from a '90