[elky] Re: Rear Shocks

  • From: STILLFRANKSFAULT@xxxxxxx
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 08:10:25 -0400 (EDT)

In normal driving I kept 5 lbs in bags that's the lowest recommended lbs.
In that setting the elky handled great. I needed to haul 1000lbs of tile.
and I  put in 30 lbs, the rear came up a few inches. A fork lift dropped a
pallet with  the tile on it, and the height returned to normal. The ride home
was  incredible, it was as if I had no weight in the bed at all. I believe
the  manufacture recommends the 30lbs for loads.
The theory here is you put the weight on the springs where it  belongs and
NOT the shocks. People use air shocks to raise the bed and when  adding a
load all that weight is on the shocks. Then wonder why the shock tabs
snapped.

Smokey Mt Frank

In a message dated 10/27/2011 7:35:50 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
ctsvmongo@xxxxxxxxx writes:

Just curious, with that set up, how much play do you have with ride height?
 Or are they more of a load bag?
On Oct 27, 2011 6:28 AM, <_STILLFRANKSFAULT@xxxxxxxx
(mailto:STILLFRANKSFAULT@xxxxxxx) >  wrote:

I agree with John, I also had Billsteins and air bags. Best bang for  the
buck.

Smokey Mt Frank

In a message dated 10/26/2011 5:40:50 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
_johncgg@xxxxxxxxxx (mailto:johncgg@xxxxxxxxx)  writes:

I have said it before, and I'll say it again ... Nothing is better  than
Billsteins and air bags in the back of an Elky. I have tried 4  different set
ups.

If you go adjustable, the rancho sounds like a better deal. You may  use
the adjustability. The Billsteins are dynamically adjusting (according  to
what I have read). I don't know how they know howe to work just right,  but
they do.

JC

On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 4:24 PM, Chris Lindh <_chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(mailto:chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) > wrote:

The drag strip adventure highlighted the need to  replace the air shocks on
my '80.  All along I had planned to  install Bilstein HDs (~$60 each) as I
have in the front, but I'm  wondering if that is a good choice if I decide
to continue drag  racing.

I've researched shocks... there are a lot of options  since GM used the
same basic shock in most rear wheel drive  cars:

Standard replacement shocks are available as low as $18  each... the
Chevelle forum folks like the Monroe Sensa Tracs for a  budget shock.  The
thought
behind using a budget shock is I can  inflate the air bags to stiffen the
suspension if necessary.  I  plan to install the bags plumbed independently
so I can add more air to  the right rear for traction.  For some reason
Monroe does not list  a Sensa Trac for the El Camino, but they do for a Malibu
(I
believe the  Malibu wagon has the same frame as an El Camino).  AC Delco
shocks  are also available for $18.

Drag shocks that can be installed  with 70/30, 60/40 or 50/50 valving are
around $40 each, the downside is  you have to disconnect one end of the shock
and rotate the shock body to  change the setting.  Also drag shocks will
not be good for  handling, although the air bags could compensate.

Single  adjustable shocks that can be converted to coil overs seem to run
$150+,  double adjustable are up to $300... each!  Single adjust able means
you change the compression and rebound simultaneously from soft to firm,
double means you can adjust each independently.

Lastly I have  found some racers are using Rancho adjustable shocks (Rancho
is a truck  shock company).  Although there is no stated application for
passenger cars evidently it is as simple as removing the steel sleeve  from
the bottom of the shock and it bolts right up (application from a  '90 4WD
S10 for example).  These are 9 way single adjustable and I  can source them
for not much more than Bilsteins.

I'm debating  between the standard replacement shocks and the Ranchos... I
may need to  make a chart...

Your thoughts?
Chris