[elky] Re: Power steering woes

  • From: Mary McCarthy <printces@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 05 May 2012 09:27:43 -0700

You are going to have to be a bit more precise about which part and its origin. what came in Elkenstein when he was new in ????? Gimme a hint.

You know in NJ you would fail state inspection for a bad PRNDL? My father-in-law did. But I have no idea how it was fixed. I failed for not having my papers in order, so its a very arbitrary thing.

I'm hoping Blazer will be checked today. Dan wants to put a meter on that windshield washer motor before we try and replace it. Sunny Day Truckette for now.

Mary

I was wanting to pick Mary's brain.... and anyone else that can help with original part numbers. My shift indicator on the dash does not line up any more. This is because the installers cut the pivot bracket to make the shifter down rod line up with the 200-4R. What I need is a part number for the original, unmolested frame pivot bracket, and the down rod (that runs from the column at the firewall in the engine compartment side) to the shifter. There is a different rod for the 200-4R vs. the TH350C that I had in there, that's why they hacked up the bracket. (because they used the 350 down rod)

Right now, Park says Reverse, OD and D are close, but low is more like 2 on the read out. So it's a custom short throw shifter, I guess. But I want it to read right, and I know the parts exist. Dixie Monte Carlo does not have these, because no one makes them aftermarket. The free advise was that any G-body or B-body with a 200-4R or 700 trans and 1985-1990 will work.

I also bought the U-Joints to replace the ones in there that have pretty close to 250,000 miles on them. I bought it at 170K miles over 15 years ago. I have had enough speedometers in there that I really can't tell ya what it has on it. In the short time I have driven it (because of the PS pump leak) it bangs in to gear pretty hard on the 3 to 2 and 2 to 1 down shift. Not so bad with the power on. I hear the tell tale 'tink' of u- joints when those down shifts happen. If it's the trans making the noise, then I am hoping that I can get some valving adjusted to lessen the hit, but I am going after the u-joints first.

To be continued, but I think I am on the right track.

Just for FUN:
Elkenstein's partial donor list: This is why it has it's name.

1984 Olds 442 dash with tach.(correct colors for 1984)
1985 Monte SS steering Wheel
Astro Van ECM for engine control
Who knows what the Spark control unit is from.... never cross referenced the numbers, but it works.
5.7L Caprice Chips in the ECM
5.7L C-10 Truck injectors and knock sensor
Mercruiser (originally) 265 HP marine block 350 CI Chevrolet with 10:1 flat top pistons and RV cam Hedman shorty headers, G-body on the right, F-body on the left (bought separate to work with the single CAT for Emissions testing)
1989 Camaro Throttle body unit
C-10 Pickup truck Transmission/throttle bracket
1990 Suburban intake manifold and air cleaner (modified for cold air Cowl Induction from the fiberglass Choo Choo 2" cowl hood) 1992-1993 Caprice Serpentine system, and A/C compressor with small pulley, F-Body Alternator
1972 Chevelle Cowl induction emblems
1990's Oldsmobile Fuel injection emblem (rear)
198x 200-4R Transmission rebuilt to GN spec (as close as $$ will allow)
Grand National 1680 Stall lock up Torque Converter (medium stall)
Iceman Chrome molly lightweight cross member for g-body with frame extension 1987 Monte Carlo SS rate springs all around (with Billstein shocks and Air-Lift Air bags in the rear) Ford remote solenoid for the unknown GM starter.... that has to be taken in and matched, because I don't know what vehicle to ask for on that one.
1987 Regal upper fender braces (F-41)
Lower F-41 front frame braces from a Monte Carlo SS
1.25" front sway bar from a Turbo Regal (198x) - The rear sway bar was an OPG Special G-body 1" solid bar for $99. Lauren Engineering IROC ground effects package with Corvette ZR-1 Tail lights in the rear roll pan. 50W truck fog lamps on the receiver hitch for back up lights. (JC Whitney?)
Stull billet grille
H1 and H4 headlight conversion
LED Turn signal conversion (motorcycle part company sourced)

I'll think of something else, but I had better send this list to my son, so that after I'm gone, he'll have a clue at the parts counter, or he could be in trouble keeping this on the road.

Speaking of Nate, he is preparing to go to Sturgis this year with his girlfriend Laura. He started working on the Sportster, only to realize that it would be a super long trip on that bike. So he is trading to a 100th anniversary Dyna low rider, for about $7 a month more than he is paying now. He'll have the bags on the back, a comfy seat, and a windshield. Pray for a safe trip with me. (I am not a bike guy). His Jag is going no where, and he is taking good care of that too. Right now, he has the world by the tail, and seems to be in love (for the first time in a very long time). He takes the bike to the train station a lot, and I have the keys to the Jag. I am not doing so bad either. ;-)

Time to crash, and dream of what other donor cars my be suitable for more mayhem from Dr. Christenstein. Astro van/S-10 spindles and corvette brakes???? I think So!

1984 El Camino "Elkenstein" 350 TBI
NECOA #042 http://www.myelcamino.net <http://www.myelcamino.net/>