[elky] Re: Oh, hell! (transmission questions, too)

  • From: STILLFRANKSFAULT@xxxxxxx
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2011 17:15:46 -0400 (EDT)

If I'm guessing correct isn't salt racing more of a top end important mind
set? If so the least loss of hp in a transmission would be preferred. So to
gain  that 1 to 1 final ratio, in an automatic, you would only get that in
an  overdrive unit with lockup converter.
All manuals will give that final 1 to 1. Manual shifting seams to be an
advantage on a road course. Autos, are big in bracket racing for their
consistency with straight line driving.

Smokey Mt Frank

In a message dated 10/30/2011 12:16:27 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Now.  I'm looking at manual transmissions.  As I wrote in  another post, I
didn't like the feel of driving a race car with an  automatic...even one I
was shifting manually.  It just felt mushy with  the 3500 rpm converter...and
I only got about 3/4 mile to try to get a feel  for it at WOT.  Anyway,
this brings up the question of "which  transmission?"  I need an overdrive if
I'm gonna use a GN or T-Type 8.5"  rear end...iirc, they have as stock, 3.42
gears.  If I go with a Ford 9",  then the overdrive thing won't matter.
Anyway, the transmissions I've  considered with that 8.5" are the Tremec 3550
and the GM T-56...I guess it's  technically at Tremec, too.