[elky] El Camino Content - Sanderson Headers

  • From: John Christensen <johncgg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: El Camino List <elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2012 11:24:31 -0600

I was seriously thinking about getting the Sanderson Headers for when I
start on the Exhaust. I am sure they won't get any cheaper if I wait.

I saw on this page that the ceramic coated ones were about $560
http://www.centuryperformance.com/sanderson-qp1200-cast-series-small-block-chevy-header-set.html

I didn't know Black ceramic was available. I think that would go nicely
with my black engine and valve covers. Also, you just don't see black
exhaust manifolds that much. It would remind me of my old
Jag<http://www.myelcamino.net/jag.htm>that had black
porcelain coated exhaust
manifolds<http://www.car-nection.com/jagbase/images/mkx/Motor-s.jpg>.
I always thought that looked cool.

I plan to get the brakes happening, and the wheels first. But the exhaust
is something you hear every time you turn the key, and my 2" current
exhaust just sounds weak. The Monte's 2.5" pipes sounded so much better,
even with cast iron manifolds. I think 3" will be overkill, and I want the
torque, not the high end.

I have a question though. I believe I are straight plug heads. They are
cast Iron. Would they be Vortec? The center bolts on the intake are a
different angle, instead of straight in as all the others. There are
several options on this page and I want to choose the right one. If I can
find the numbers somewhere ........

I had the numbers on the build page and found this info during a search on
a forum:

Re: GM 14096217 Heads on 1989 5.7 TBI? Yes they will fit, check the intake
face for the 72* mounting pattern for the two center bolts to be sure.

If they were for a HD Marine application they will have 3/8" sodium filled
valves
vs 11/32" steel valves for a light duty application. The 3/8" valve is a
stepped design and uses the standard 11/32" retainer.
The only way to know for sure is to pull an exhaust valve.

The sodium filled valves are over $50 (each) from GM. They are great for
high load applications.
The 217 should have the same chamber size as the 193 TBI head.
The 217 is basically the same casting as used on the 5.7 IROC Z head (iron
head L98 non swirl port).

These are a great upgrade for the stock TBI head

And this is a marine block, so that is pretty good news.
Here is the page with the numbers and info:
http://www.myelcamino.net/elcamino_2006.htm

more info:
These heads were also used on Marine 350 engines, including TBI marine
engines. Power ratings were up to 320 HP depending on application. GM DID
make a 300 HP crate engine with the "217" heads on it. The same engine now
comes with "062" vortec heads and makes an extra 30 HP. The 330 HP 350 HO
replaced the now discontinued 300 HP 350 HO.

I am thinking that with the 10:1 Flat top aluminum pistons in there, that
it is closer to 300 HP than the 260 listed on the valve cover tag
here<http://www.myelcamino.net/ec/motor_0706_11.jpg>.
I bought the motor as rebuilt coming from a Jet boat, and I know they
replaced the pistons and the cam. They may have even put these heads on
from a different application.

I guess once I get the exhaust on there, I'll have to go out and play on
the Dyno again just to see what kind of numbers are getting to the wheels.

Enough bench racing for the morning. Nap time now, I need to regenerate.

1984 El Camino "Elkenstein" 350 TBI
NECOA #042 http://www.myelcamino.net