[elky] Re: El Camino Content - Sanderson Headers

  • From: STILLFRANKSFAULT@xxxxxxx
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2012 17:32:29 -0500 (EST)

Your theory is sound. ......... LOL

Smokey Mt Frank

In a message dated 11/30/2012 12:25:20 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
johncgg@xxxxxxxxx writes:

I was  seriously thinking about getting the Sanderson Headers for when I
start on the  Exhaust. I am sure they won't get any cheaper if I wait.

I saw on this  page that the ceramic coated ones were about $560
_http://www.centuryperformance.com/sanderson-qp1200-cast-series-small-block-
chevy-header-set.html_
(http://www.centuryperformance.com/sanderson-qp1200-cast-series-small-block-chevy-header-set.html)

I  didn't know Black ceramic was available. I think that would go nicely
with my  black engine and valve covers. Also, you just don't see black exhaust
 manifolds that much. It would remind me of _my old Jag_
(http://www.myelcamino.net/jag.htm)  that had _black  porcelain coated exhaust
manifolds_
(http://www.car-nection.com/jagbase/images/mkx/Motor-s.jpg) . I always thought
that looked cool.

I plan to get the brakes happening, and the wheels first. But the  exhaust
is something you hear every time you turn the key, and my 2" current
exhaust just sounds weak. The Monte's 2.5" pipes sounded so much better, even
with cast iron manifolds. I think 3" will be overkill, and I want the torque,
not the high end.

I have a question though. I believe I are straight  plug heads. They are
cast Iron. Would they be Vortec? The center bolts on the  intake are a
different angle, instead of straight in as all the others. There  are several
options on this page and I want to choose the right one. If I can  find the
numbers somewhere ........

I had the numbers on the build page  and found this info during a search on
a forum:

Re: GM  14096217 Heads on 1989 5.7 TBI?
Yes they will fit, check the intake face  for the 72* mounting pattern for
the two center bolts to be sure.

If  they were for a HD Marine application they will have 3/8" sodium filled
 valves
vs 11/32" steel valves for a light duty application. The 3/8" valve  is a
stepped design and uses the standard 11/32" retainer.
The only way to  know for sure is to pull an exhaust valve.

The sodium filled valves are over  $50 (each) from GM. They are great for
high load applications.
The 217  should have the same chamber size as the 193 TBI head.
The 217 is  basically the same casting as used on the 5.7 IROC Z head (iron
head L98 non  swirl port).

These are a great upgrade for the stock TBI  head

And  this is a marine block, so that is pretty good news.
Here is the page with  the numbers and info:
_http://www.myelcamino.net/elcamino_2006.htm_
(http://www.myelcamino.net/elcamino_2006.htm)

more  info:
These heads were also used on Marine 350 engines, including TBI  marine
engines. Power ratings were up to 320 HP depending on application. GM  DID make
a 300 HP crate engine with the "217" heads on it. The same engine now
comes with "062" vortec heads and makes an extra 30 HP. The 330 HP 350 HO
replaced the now discontinued 300 HP 350  HO.

I  am thinking that with the 10:1 Flat top aluminum pistons in there, that
it is  closer to 300 HP than the 260 listed on the valve cover tag _here_
(http://www.myelcamino.net/ec/motor_0706_11.jpg) . I bought the  motor as
rebuilt coming from a Jet boat, and I know they replaced the pistons  and the
cam. They may have even put these heads on from a different  application.

I guess once I get the exhaust on there, I'll have to go  out and play on
the Dyno again just to see what kind of numbers are getting to  the wheels.

Enough bench racing for the morning. Nap time now, I need  to regenerate.

John  Christensen
1984 El Camino "Elkenstein" 350 TBI
NECOA #042 _http://www.myelcamino.net_ (http://www.myelcamino.net/)