Re: [ee_shoppahs] Questions/Opinions

  • From: Kent Ulrich <kulrich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ee_shoppahs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2010 21:26:45 -0400

  1. I usually tell recruiters that I'll give them references after the
     phone interview. Only needed to give them out once. I think that I
     will start telling them that I'll give the references to the
     client; I like that idea.
  2. I have always used CE Weekly when I am out of work. It's been
     around since when I started contracting. Now days, I subscribe to
     their online service,
     http://www.cjhunter.com/visitor/job_seeker.html for $25/year. I
     put my name on their weekly Hot Sheet. They list you free for one
     week a month when you are out of work. I pay the $5/week to be
     listed for the other weeks while I'm out of work. I find that once
     I am on the hot sheet, the phone usually starts ringing. However
     in tight times, such as last year or in 2001-2002, I have still
     gone long periods without finding work.
  3. nu-30 is what I hear most often for w-2 jobs.
  4. My phone seems to be ringing more lately.
  5. Currently in Avionics doing DO-254 verification. Third DO-254 job
     in a row.
  6. I have not seen a lot of H1-B's since I've been either with a
     defense contractor or real small avionics companies lately.

I'm only going to work for a couple more years, so I have no interest in going perm. It sounds like some of the guys on this list have found some high paying perm jobs. My suggestion is to look for both direct and contract jobs and to take a direct job if the pay is above the pay that would make it equivalent to what you could make contracting, after you account for holidays, vacations, health insurance, on-the-road costs, etc.

Kent