Re: [ee_shoppahs] Questions/Opinions

  • From: "Tom Ohe" <tdohe2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ee_shoppahs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 22:24:01 -0700

1. Like John Laverdier mentioned, I do not give references to recruiters - only
to clients if they request.

2. I have used Dice, Career Builder & Monster as secondary sources, but I have
never gotten an interview using these sites & submitting resumes. However,
recruiters will see your resume if you post it to these sites and you will
probably get some calls/emails. I have always gotten jobs through recruiters. I
have mainly used CX Design as I have worked exclusively in the Phoenix metro
area the past 15 years and also know Chris & Doug. However, my current job I
got through CPI. The way the market is, you definitely want to take the
initiative contacting people, though you probably will get some recruiters
contacting you.

3. I am seeing rates between Nu0-25 to Nu0-10, which is what I am currently
working at. I'm sure there are some jobs at Nu0 or higher for the right niche.

4. Compared to late 2008/early 2009, I am definitely seeing more jobs - through
this email list and also recruiter contacts. It's not the late 90's, but it
seems like there is a some upswing from the bottom.

5. Currently working in Govt/Defense industry doing FPGA design & verification.

6. NA since I've been working in Govt/Defense the past 15 months where there
are few if any H1-Bs.

As for going perm - it's something I considered 18 months ago, when my contract
suddenly ended and it took me a couple of months to find something. I was
looking at perm or contract, depending what popped up first. As it turned out,
the 1st job that I found was contract, but I was prepared to go perm after 15
years.

Tom Ohe