[edi581] Stoll article

  • From: "Kelly Kinde" <mrskinde@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: edi581@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 22:45:11 -0500

Hi All,
Before I begin, I'd like to say that I've been purposely avoiding reading
other opinions until I formed me own.  I'll go back and read them when I
finish this post.  So forgive me if I repeat anyone.

Okay, opinion of Stoll's ideas:  Close-minded and pessimistic are the
first words that come to mind.  Sure kids (and adults) can become
"addicted" in a way to the internet and the instant gratification it
provides, but there are so many benefits he ignores.  My next feeling
about him is this--he reminds me a bit of my mother.  She's got  a lot of
ideas on how to improve schools too.  But she's never been a teacher, so
she doesn't know what the &$#@ she's talking about.  I didn't notice
anywhere in Mr. Stoll's background that he teaches anyone below college
age.  His estimates for the amount of time required to teach things are a
bit low from even my experience, and I haven't spent much time in the
classroom yet.  While he has some valid points about the drawbacks,
particularly interpersonal skills, but he weighs them greatly without
weighing the positive points.

As far as what is been spent on computers in the classroom, I think it's
just about right.  We live in an increasingly technical world, and
computer skills OF ALL KINDS are essential.  I would always advocate a
well-rounded approach to education.  Students need art and music as much
as math and science.  And they most definitely need as much work at
interpersonal skill as computer skills.

Kelly Kinde

Kelly M. Kinde
MrsKinde@xxxxxxxxxxx