[edi581] Stoll article

  • From: AvnMeadows7@xxxxxxx
  • To: edi581@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 15:48:02 EST

  In the interview with Clifford Stoll, a discussion was presented regarding
the importance of computers in schools.  Stoll pointed out that schools spend
an excessive amount of money in order to ensure up-to-date technology, and he
discussed the usefulness of this technology.  Stoll acknowledged that students
need basic computer skills, but he feels that these skills do not require
years of practice or the best equipment to obtain.  Stoll also mentions that
computers often take space that could be used for other subject areas, like art
or
music.
  I have to agree with Stoll to a degree.  It does seem somewhat frivolous to
continue to spend so much money so that kids can learn to use a word
processor.  I strongly believe that all students need practice with computers,
but I
think that skills can be learned in short periods of time.  Computers seem to
be put at a level of importance that is not necessarily sound.  Computers
should be used as a tool, but I think a lot of the technological inovations can
be
done with out.  I think Stoll does a nice job of pointing out that computers
are useful, but not necessarily essential.  Schools seem to be under the
impression that computers are indespensible, and I do not think that this is
necessarily so.
  I benefited from reading the article because it gave me the opportunity to
step back from all the computer hype and look at the need for computers in a
realistic sense.  We can provide good education with out the use of fancy mimio
boards and power point presentations.  Although these advances can contribute
to good teaching, they should not come at greater cost than they are really
worth.

   JerryTaylr@xxxxxxx