[edi581] Re: Online assignment #3 (Stoll)

  • From: "L Wold" <lwold@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <edi581@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <lfwbt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 21:49:19 -0500

High Tech Heretic
Clifford Stoll

After reading the interview with Stoll, I can understand his view point
on several of his key issues.  I definitely agree that students NEED
human contact time with teachers and other students.  I agree that a
good book will never be replaced by an electronic text.  I can't imagine
cuddling up with my laptop to fall asleep at night.  His points on the
virtual community make sense ( our listserve assignment is my first
interaction with a computer community).  But I can't grasp the notion of
kids not using a computer until the age of 12.
Personally, I teach in a district where the majority of my students do
not have computers at home.  Their only real interaction with computers
is at school.  My 6th grade team has only one computer per classroom.
Trying to accomplish any type of project using only one computer is a
difficult task.  We do have access to a portable lab, but it is shared
between 12 teachers....
Unfortunately, more computers often means cutting out other programs (in
my district like art and music) which is not the right answer. Computers
are expensive and require continual maintence, but without keeping up
with other districts (those who are not proponents of Stoll's) it seems
that many of our students will be left behind.
After taking this class, I am excited and enthused to bring more
technology into my classroom.  I found this quote on middle L listserve,
it seems to hit the nail on the head - " Technology will never replace
teachers, but those who use technology will replace those who do not."
>>> JerryTaylr@xxxxxxx 11/06/05 9:02 PM >>>
Online assignment #3 (10 points)
Deadline: Midnight, Friday, Nov. 25
Should schools be spending money to put more computers in schools? What
do
YOU think? Read the article by Clifford Stoll, long-time critic of
computers in
schools, in the "Readings" folder on Angel.

When you've finished reading the article, post a message on the class
listserv (edi581@xxxxxxxxxxxxx) telling us how YOU feel about schools
spending more
and more money on computers. Are they "worth it"? Include any "personal
examples," if possible.

Good luck.  I'm looking forward to reading your comments.

Jerry

P.S. Remember, late assignments will not be accepted. Don't wait until
the
last minute.

   JerryTaylr@xxxxxxx
   JerryTaylr@xxxxxxx