[duxuser] Re: translating heading styles from Word; imbedding codes in Word document

  • From: "George Bell" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 16:57:08 +0100

Hi Dean,

Welcome to Word 2007.

Let me answer the easy question first [[*Code*]] will embed
DBT Codes into Word.  That is, two left square brackets, and
asterisk, the DBT Code, an asterisk, two right square
brackets.

And FWIW, if I am preparing a document which will also be
needed in ink-print, I usually create a Word Character
style, based on default, but with "Hidden" text, and apply
that to the special text.

You'll find some useful topics covering both aspects in
Help: Working with Word: Using DBT Codes.

Your main problem has me quaking in my boots as I have
recently had what sounds like exactly the same problem with
a massive 130 page Word 2007 document.

Unfortunately what appeared visually to be Headings, we're
in fact part of a numbering process, and when I applied
appropriate Heading Styles, the numbering went haywire.

But having said that, a Word Heading Style should remain a
DBT Heading Style when imported.

I simply wasn't prepared to have a fight with Word 2007 as
the document was extremely urgent, so I simply did a "Save
as:" and saved as a .txt (Text) file, which preserved the
original numbering, and started Styling from scratch.

However, if you'd like to send the document to me as an
attachment to george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx I'd be happy to
take a look and try to see exactly what the problem is.  It
would be also useful from a general point of view, as we
don't yet see too many Word 2007 documents.

All the best,