[duxuser] Re: printing from duxbury

  • From: "George Bell" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 22:56:48 +0100

Hi Lani,

I'm glad the tip worked - and we both have to thank
Duxbury's technical support, and in this case, Don Breda,
for that tip. This tale is 100% true.

A year or two back I had a call from a UK Government
department with a similar problem they had suffered for
almost a year.  Their embosser would print 2-3 pages, and
essentially die. (Their's didn't have any speech output)
They'd called in various so called "experts" from various UK
based companies in the adaptive industry.  For some reason
(perhaps being the UK Duxbury dealer) my company's name kept
cropping up.

Finally they called me, explained the problem, and admitted
that they'd even changed the embosser itself. (They also did
say I was their "last resort"!)

Cutting a long story short, they agreed to pay me to go down
down to London, with no guarantees that I could fix it.

Sure enough, I saw the problem for myself.

Cutting another long story short, I used my cell phone to
called the manufacturer overseas who, in fairness, didn't at
that precise time have anyone who could help.  (It was
actually lunch time, so everyone was out)

Eventually I managed, again on my cell phone, to get through
to Duxbury, and finally to Don Breda.  I explained the
problem, and was gob-smacked when Don told me to put the
paper on the floor.  "Your're kidding!", I said.  "Just put
the paper on the floor!" he repeated.

I did, and it worked.

That's when I learned all about "Optical Paper-out Sensors"
used in many braille embossers.

The embosser was located near a window, and as the paper was
feeding in, now and again it would rise up letting light
into the underside of the paper.  Putting it on the floor,
kept the paper down over the sensor.

Needless to say I charged them like a wounded bull.  "No
problem," they said, "but could we have a little bit of a
break down of the costs please?"

"Sure!", I said.  "10% was travel.  10% was my time.  80%
was for knowing who to contact."

They paid, and everyone was happy.

(And in fairness, I do still owe Don Breda a slap up meal
and a lot of beers next time I'm in the States.)