[duxuser] Re: how to indicate fill in blanks

  • From: Susan <chrn3292@xxxxxxx>
  • To: duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 15:46:54 -0500

Brett,

To change any number of underscores to a single double dash (4 hyphens)
in Word, do the following:

Ctrl-H to start Find and Replace
Click More (Alt-M) to expand the dialog box
Check Use wildcards (Alt-U)
Find what: _{1,} [you are looking for 1 or more underscores]
Replace with: ----
Click Replace all (Alt-A)

For example,

This is _ a test.
This is __ a test.
This is ___ a test.
This is ____ a test.
This is _____ a test.
This is ______ a test.
This is _______ a test.
This is ________ a test.
This is _________ a test.
This is _____________________________________ a test.

Now becomes,

This is ---- a test.
This is ---- a test.
This is ---- a test.
This is ---- a test.
This is ---- a test.
This is ---- a test.
This is ---- a test.
This is ---- a test.
This is ---- a test.
This is ---- a test.

If you have underscores used in other places that must be saved (such as
computer braille code), you might want to change the number of
underscores in the Find what string. If it's always more than a certain
number, you can plug that in where the 1 is. For example, change

_{1,}

_{3,}

Susan

Brett Winchester wrote on 4/11/2006, 2:36 PM:

I am trying to develop a peace of training for our staff to reduce the
amount of editing for Braille production of documents which have fill in
the blank items in them.

For example you may have a line which says,

APPLICANT NAME_____ (5 UNDERSCORE CHARACTER PROCEED WITH NO SPACE AFTER
THE WORD NAME.)

Frequently these number of underscore character is not the same, but is
simply an amount that looks good on the screen or finished print.

I have not found any direction within WORD for doing this and would
appreciate ideas.

I typically would put 3 (dots 36 character) but also am not sure what is
suggested at the time of this writing. I will however go look for this rule.

Thank you!