[duxuser] Re: Generating table of Content.

  • From: George Bell <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2014 10:21:29 +0000

Hi Kuenga,

The single most important requirement is that your file(s) have Heading Styles
applied appropriately.

If you are starting with Word for Windows, then these are normally the Styles
called "Heading 1", "Heading 2" and upwards.  When a Word file is opened in
DBT, these Word Styles will automatically be converted by DBT into its own
Styles as described next.

If you are starting in DBT, then these Heading Styles are called "h1.", "h2."
and upwards.

These Heading Styles are what are used to build the Table of Contents (TOC).
You cannot build one automatically without them.

Bear in mind also, that you can only build the *braille* Table of Contents once
you have translated your text into braille in DBT.

If you have started in Word, it is a very good idea to build a TOC and check to
make sure it is what you will want in braille.  However the Word TOC must be
deleted either before you import, or alternatively as soon as you do import
into DBT.

I have to say that when I do training sessions, applying Styles and building a
TOC in Word is often what I begin to show people.  It never fails to amaze me
how few, so called "experienced" Word users manually type a TOC and take hours
to do what can be done in less than 10 seconds.  One of the usual comments I
get is, "I wish I had known how to do that the night before I had to submit my
university thesis!"

Moreover, having shown how easy this can be, and if Word users are encouraged
to Style Word documents correctly, it saves the Braille transcriber a great
deal of work and valuable time.

George Bell
(In the United Kingdom)