[duxuser] Re: Braille paper

  • From: "George Bell" <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2002 15:14:07 +0100

Hi Jamie,

I'm getting just a tad confused here.  You were originally wanting to get a
Grade 2 web-braille book into Grade 1.  Now you are doing one into Grade 2?
I'm not sure if you are sighted either, so the following explanations may not
quite suit, but here goes.

OK.  Let me try and deal with the page width issue, though I'm guessing to some
extent at where you are at.  However, for the purpose here, I'll assume you
have a text file which you have checked for back-translation errors.

If you have indeed "Back-translated" that text file from Grade 2 into Text with
DBT, then I would suggest you first take a look at the text file, in DBT, in
what is called "Coded View".

To do this, go to the View Menu, and click on "Codes".  Alternatively, hold
down the ALT key, and tap the F3 key.  You should see DBT codes appear, which
are in red, and begin and end with square brackets ([ and ]).  This is a
"Toggle" command, so using it again, will make codes disappear.

I suspect you may find that at the end of each text line is a DBT "New Line"
Code. [<]  This will cause unwanted New Lines in braille.

You essentially have two main ways to remove these.  However you have to be
careful, since you do not want to remove them all, otherwise your text will end
up in one massive paragraph.

One way is to use DBT's "Join Lines" command from the Layout Menu.  You may
find the following easier to do when NOT in Coded View.

Place your cursor anywhere in the first line of a paragraph, then hold down the
shift key, and down arrow highlighting text until you are in the last line of
the SAME paragraph.  Click on "Layout", and then click on "Join Lines".  Bingo!
 All extra New Line Commands should disappear.

When you Translate, you should find your text is formatted properly.

The second method involves searching a replacing a string of Codes.  I can
explain that as well, but as it's a hot Sunday afternoon, I'll leave you to
tell me if I'm on the right track.

George Bell
Techno-Vision Systems Ltd