[drivingpairs] Washer and Horse Drying

  • From: kathy robertson <goodhors@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 12:31:01 -0800 (PST)

Beverly,  What a great new toy!  We saw those little
portable washers in action at the Equine Affair.  Free
horse washing for Demos.  Seemed to do a great job.
  An additional suggestion would be to have your horse
vacuum handy for after washing.  I have been using
mine as a blower, on the horses recently.  The water
is just BLASTED off in clouds of moisture from the
animals.  Really shortens drying time, plus fluffing
the coat.    With all our recent, heavy rain, I keep
bringing in the old horse, blower the water off and
put her cooler on to dry.  Doesn't take long, even
with 2 inches of hair.  I don't want her getting a
chill at her age.  Foals might also be a good idea to
dry quick.
  Also on dry horse, blower is good for getting dirt
out, then vacuuming clean.  Vacuum sometimes can't get
thru all that hair thickness, so blower removes dust,
stands hair up, clean to the skin.  Husband suggests
starting at horse front, working back, or heads are
filthy!!  I don't blow on heads.  Hey, it was his
first time using the blower!!!!
  We use the vacuum a lot here in cold winters, big
time saver in grooming multiples.  Daylight goes too
fast.

  Blower side works well on my large, long haired dog
also, except she looked like she had been electric
shocked in a cartoon!!  Three inches of hair all
straight out!  Twice the dog I started with!  Dried
really fast though.

  Blower air gets fairly warm, not hot, pushed into
rubber pointed nozzle.  I got my nozzle from Electro
Groom, would probably fit any sweeper hose.  Has a
hose clamp to hold it on hose.  Nozzle needs to
concetrate the air, which warms it and gives force to
blow off the water.

I hurt my foot, so having toooo much computer time!!
Hope you all can stand it, till foot is better, and I
can get back to outside things!

Kathy Robertson