[drivingpairs] Re: Tandem

  • From: "Jay Hubert" <jhubert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 20:44:22 -0800

Sounds like you have a good start, Karen.  I also highly recommend Mary Ruth
Marks' book which is available at

http://www.equinebasics.com/page20.html

The picture on that page shows Mary Ruth driving her Arab tandem, using tandem
bar harness.  Mary Ruth prefers it to long traces for all of her showing.

If you have helpers, try this:

Hitch your wheeler.  Get in the carriage.  Have a helper stand by the head of
the
wheeler.
Have another helper bring up the leader.  Have one of the helpers, or a third
if
available, run the near rein from the leader, through the roger ring and the
tandem terret to your hand.  Repeat with the off rein.  When your reins are
comfortable in your hand(s) ask the helpers to hook the leaders traces to the
tandem keys or whatever you are using.

IF this it the first time, I recommend using something light to fasten the
leader
traces, so if things go badly, the leader can break away without tearing things
up.  We used baling twine, loosely tied.

BTW, the sequence of hitching is very important.  The leader's traces should
NEVER be attached until the driver is fully in control of the reins and is
comfortably settled on the box.

Good luck

Jay E Hubert
Coffing Oaks Welsh Ponies
Galt, CA

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, because you are crunchy and taste good
with ketchup.

And I STILL drive too fast to worry about cholesterol!