[drivingpairs] Re: Last Drive of the Season?

  • From: Pat Lamprey <plamprey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 14:13:55 -0700

The downside of leaving them shod in winter:  it costs more than leaving
them barefoot; you'll have to work around shoes when you pick their feet;
shoes can trap snow, ice and mud more easily than barefeet so you'll need to
check them regularly.  The upside:  you can work them and they won't tear up
their feet on rough ground (working ir not).

I've left my two mares shod at all times -- I've heard the "relaxation"
line, but I've always used my two all year (not as hard in winter, but they
still work), plus they both tend to paw at dinner time (which is why the
younger one got shoes in the first place), which wears out feet if unshod.

I talked it over with my vet, and his opinion was that if they were working
or were turned out or stalled on something other than (mostly) grass or
rubber, it was better that they be shod as long as they were shod well.  We
even left the older mare shod when she foaled.  Heresy! But we'd had a very
wet spring and her feet were in poor shape.  She was in a large pen and we
figured the risk of harm to baby was less than the certainty of foot
problems if she went barefoot.

My advice would be to shoe - or not - according to how you'll use your
beasties over the winter.  If it will be once in a blue moon, use easy boots
or something or stay on soft surfaces.  If you'll use them fairly regularly
(even once a week), leave them shod.  As you said, you don't go without
shoes for part of the year -- and if you did, might be the worse for it!

Pat Lamprey
Denver CO