[drivingpairs] Last Drive of the Season?

  • From: dirahna@xxxxxxx
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 19:38:48 EST

With temperatures in the upper 50's for the second day in a row, we threw all
responsibilities to the winds and hitched up.  Oh Happy Happy December 28!
There's seldom enough snow here in the Cincinnati area to hitch a sleigh and
the non-driving weather seems to hang on forever, so today was a really special
treat.
Flash and Tony hadn't been hitched since the Cleveland Candlelight Parade two
weeks ago.  They were more than happy to head down the road.  Fields are way
too wet to slog through, and musket season began today, so noise and
visibility were the order of the march.  Each time I drive this pair, I wonder
why I
waited until nearly 60 years age to begin having so much fun.  Happily, my
learning curve is fair, so I have been able to keep up with what they have to
teach
me pretty well.  Always driving with a friend (who has been driving multiples
since before my birth) is my primary safety feature.  Wanda has seen most
problems before, and knows what to do, but she's so in tune with the animals
that
she can alert me to potential difficulties. ("Watch Tony's ears.  He doesn't
like the railroad tracks today.  Be ready!")

We saw a lot of bicyclists and motorcyclists and teens with their Christmas
car stereos at full volume; not a few deer spooked over the roads by the
hunters;
buzzards leering from the barn roofs, and one red-tail hawk sailing over his
kingdom.  Got to try my new bamboo whip and I recommend them to everyone.
Even these arthritic old hands can carry this light aide.

Yes indeed............it felt like a day in the early spring.  The ponies
were springy, too, but ignored all of the distractions and soldiered on like
the
troopers they are.

 I'm sorry now that the farrier will be here on Wednesday to remove their
shoes for the winter.  In fact, I'm having the shoes taken off because someone,
somewhere told me that it's best for the hooves to have a month or two to
"relax".  But MY toenails don't seem to need "relaxation time."  Can anyone
tell me
the down side of leaving shoes on year-round?  We just might have more winter
driving time.

Thanks for any advice.....

Pat McVay